Few weeks back, I was searching for a chat module for one of my website “Entertainment Forum” built with XenForo. There are several plugins available for chatting, I’ve found some shoutboxes, but I didn’t have that exact chat module for XenForo. After spending few minutes I came to know about CometChat. So I purchased it, and came to know that this is the plugin that meets all of my requirements.
So, what are the features of CometChat?
- First of all, it comes with a very basic integration, no database handling, no code alterations – just put the CometChat code into your and it will do the rest job at its own.
- It provides one-to-one chatting, with User Blocking feature, Chat history, smileys and an amazing file transfer feature (similar to Skype).
- It comes with some basic themes, but if you are familiar with CSS then you can create new themes easily.
Beside these features, you can create public chat rooms using CometChat – something similar to Yahoo/Rediff chat rooms – but less complicated.
- Users are allowed to change their status with status messages – and it works great!
Which Scripts Are Compatible With CometChat?
All major scripts are supported by CometChat, you can use CometChat as chat addon for Joomla, chat addon for XenForo, vBulletin, WordPress, MyBB, IPB, Drupal etc. even it works with Custom Coded scripts. So, doesn’t matter with which script you are running your website, you can always use CometChat for giving you users a great chat experience.
Here are all the supported scripts list:
- Boonex Dolphin
- Community Builder
- Dzoic Handshakes
- Invision Power Board
- Simple Machines Forum
- SocialEngine v4
- SocialEngine v3
- Standalone site
- Vanilla Forums
- And Custom Coded Scripts!
Feeling excited, have a look at CometChat!
How to install CometChat?
After downloading CometChat, unzip and upload to your website’s root directory, usually public_html or htdocs directory. Then open
http://yourwebsite.com/cometchat/install.php – it will show you a page with some instructions. You have to put the code displayed on the page into tag of your website and that’s it! It will turn on CometChat – for customizing CometChat you have to login to the CometChat admin panel. Here is a screenshot of CometChat installation for WordPress -
What is the price?
There are several price options available – lowest is $49. It comes with the basic CometChat module and some plugins such as file transfer, chat history and it’s a branded copy. If you want the chat module without brand then you can go for larger price. For checking, you can purchase the $49 license, you will always get the upgrade options in the CometChat membership area.